Hazrat Inayat Khan
Today is the beginning of the Chinese Year of the Tiger. It’s also the day of an Aquarian new moon. So I think it’s probably an inspired thought to write about Inayat Khan’s Sufi message for the West.
I was reading from an on-line biography of Inayat Khan yesterday, when I came across the following:
There are ten principal Sufi thoughts which comprise all the important subjects with which the inner life of man is concerned:
1) There is one God, the Eternal, the Only Being; none else exists save God.The Life and Teachings of Hazrat Inayat Khan
2) There is one Master, the Guiding Spirit of all souls, who constantly leads all followers towards the light.
3) There is one Holy Book, the sacred manuscript of nature, which truly enlightens all readers.
4) There is one Religion, the unswerving progress in the right direction towards the ideal, which fulfils the life’s purpose of every soul.
5) There is one Law, the law of Reciprocity, which can be observed by a selfless conscience together with a sense of awakened justice.
6) There is one human Brotherhood, the Brotherhood and Sisterhood which unites the children of earth indiscriminately in the Fatherhood of God.
7) There is one Moral Principle, the love which springs forth from self-denial, and blooms in deeds of beneficence.
8) There is one Object of Praise, the beauty which uplifts the heart of its worshipper through all aspects from the seen to the unseen.
9) There is one Truth, the true knowledge of our being within and without which is the essence of all wisdom.
10) There is one Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality and in which resides all perfection.
It seems to be a message that needs to be stated again and again, until people start to take notice. In my own way, I have tried to demonstrate these truths, but I don’t have the spiritual clout that he did.
Some of Khan’s Quotes that are Still Relevant Today
An Inspirational Portrait of the Man
I hope these words help to enlighten your soul.